Preventive Health Screening Tests
Doctors believe medical tests should be performed at specific times. Medical Laboratory tests are not only for elder people, as actually they are for anyone who think about monitoring their health from a young age. Regular medical checkups, across all age groups, help to identify and deal with physical problems earlier. They are include:
- Blood lipid tests such as cholesterol, triglycerides, LDL and HDL
- Blood cell count tests
- Diabetes tests such as fasting blood sugar, hemoglobin A۱c
- Liver function tests such as bilirubin, liver enzymes especially GPT, GOT and albumin
- Thyroid function tests such as TSH, T۴ and T۳.
- Kidney function tests such as urine analysis, urea and creatinine measurement
- Blood electrolyte tests such as measuring sodium, potassium, blood calcium
Screening tests for malignant diseases such as PSA in the diagnosis of prostate cancer in men and Pap smear in women for the diagnosis of cervical cancer is strongly recommended.
It should be noted that the results of previous checkups should be maintained, in many cases, comparing the results of laboratory tests with the previous results could help clinicians diagnose the disease; therefore keeping the results of previous tests when referring to a physician is essential. Periodic tests are also recommended for the diagnosis of diseases such as AIDS, Hepatitis C. and B.